Thursday, March 01, 2007

Incentive Programme

I've gotten a few requests from some folks for an update on how things are going on the 30/90 Plan. For those of you who have been long time readers, you know that in January my doctor gave me an ultimatum: lose thirty pounds in ninety days or she was going to put me on drugs for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. That was enough to motivate me to do something I as well as MBH and my family had been wanting me to do, lose the weight that several years of sedentary office work had put on. So, I began a regime of recording every calorie I consume, more exercise (LOVE yoga), and adjusting some of my cooking/snacking habits (why oh why does the guy who comes to the office three times a week keep taunting me with those kit-kat bars??!!).

Well, I'm very happy to announce that almost two thirds into my 90 days I have lost 22lbs!

I can't believe how much better I feel and how nice it is to see my cheeks again (not THOSE cheeks but I suspect there is some improvement on that end as well) and to have to say "Honey, I need new belts. There aren't enough holes on these anymore and I can't get them small enough". I've started cooking four meals a week exclusively from Cooking Light and I can't say that either Mr. Pickypants nor I have noticed all that much different from a taste standpoint; other than the chicken soup I made a few weeks ago had less salt. Ok, so he wasn't that impressed with the Beef Goulash or the Saffron Shrimp Pasta (I liked both of them). In addition, I'm enjoying learning to lighten up our favourite dishes and still pack a lot of punch into the meals.

And besides not having to go on prescription medicine, I have one added carrot being dangled in front of me as an allurement to lose the weight. In January MBH publicly declared that if I lost the 32 pounds in the time allotted he would purchase me the KitchenAid stand mixer of my dreams: The Professional 5 Plus 12 cup Bowl Lift Mixer. I think "Empire Red" will look very nice on my counter...

Saffron Shrimp Pasta
Adapted from Cooking Light
Serves 6

1/4 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup low sodium chicken stock
1 tsp tumeric
1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley


Combine first six ingredients in a large nonstick skillet; bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes; add shrimp. Cover and cook 2 minutes or until shrimp are done, stirring occasionally. Serve over whole grain bow tie pasta and topped with chopped parsley.

Serving Size: 1/2 cup pasta and 5 oz shrimp with 1/4 cup of sauce

Calories: 391; Fat: 3.8g; 428mg; Carbs:45.5 (2.7 for the shrimp alone)

Note: This is fantastic cold over a bed of lettuce the next day!