Friday, May 22, 2009

Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge: Anadama Bread Rules!

Peter Reinhart has been sniffing around my family recipe box.

I'm proving my loss of any semblance of sanity by participating along with my fellow Bread Baking Babes Tanna, Gorel, and Natashya in the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge so wonderfully directed by Nicole of Pinch My Salt.

I've blogged about my deep, personal and intense love of Anadama bread before. I've even shared my Great Auntie Nora's family recipe for Anadama bread with you.

Andama Bread - My favorite bread from Yellow Farmhouse Cookbook


I've gushed about how I love the molasses sweetened taste of Anadama bread toasted and slathered with butter. How I love to take slightly staled slices and dip them in steaming clam chowder made with clams straight off the boat that morning.

So, imagine how I gleefully ripped into that first perfect loaf from the oven

BBA_Anadama

I made using Peter Reinhart's fabulous recipe in The Bread Baker's Apprentice.

While his recipe calls to soak the corn meal overnight versus pouring boiling water over it like my family recipe instructs, the result is still the same: the texture of the cornmeal is preserved in the baked bread.

BBA_Anadama Slow Shot


Which, in this Anadama bread lovers opinion is what makes it such a fantastic toasting bread.

The only thing that makes it better?

Slather some orange marmalade on top and eat with slices of sharp Vermont cheddar cheese for after dinner dessert!

BBA_Anadama Slice

Breadchick Rating of BBA Recipe:
5 Loaves out of a possible 5
Five Loaves out of Five_blog