Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Keep Our Chocolate Real: Don't Let the FDA Change the Definiton of Chocolate!!!



I don't normally post twice in one day BUT I'm going to have to make an exception...

MBH just sent me a link to this article on Slashdot.

In case you didn't know (and if I know most of you, you do...and I'm just WAY behind on the news), the FDA , one of our benevolent government agencies here in the US, wants to bow to pressure from the big conglomerate candy companies to allow changes to the definition of chocolate: replace cocoa butter with vegetable oil and milk solids with dry whey (defined as any type of whey like soy etc. vs milk and cream) and allow them to sell that as "real" chocolate vs. "imitation" chocolate.

This is the same agency btw that is heading the charge against those evil trans-fats and now they want to let chocolate manufacturers put vegetable oil in my chocolate??!!

Apparently the FDA public comment period is up tomorrow, April 25, but if you want, you can read about the outrage here at Candyblog's "Don't Mess With Our Chocolate" section and here at "Don't Mess With Our Chocolate" and then go comment here on the FDA Website.

I'm not sure if this comment period is open only to US citizens but heck it can't hurt to try and if it is and you still want to make some noise, post a little "something-something" on your blog so your US readers can see it.

Now where is my pitchfork? Time for that revolution that Thomas Jefferson was talking about...