Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Kettle Calling the Pot Black

We don't do sports here in our little house off Harvard Square because politics are sports. Basically, I live in a "Mary Matalin/James Carville" house (I'm not her!). MBH and I have agreed to disagree about fiscal policy, and in the name of peace and sanity, have agreed to only send half barbs across the dinner table for the next three years. Besides, like a good liberal that can see both sides of the same coin, I sympathize with MBH; because with the exception of Mitt Romney, he is probably the only Republican in the most liberal state of Massachusetts. So, I've tried to keep this blog politically neutral. I have other outlets for my political bent.

However, this morning, I read this article about releasing 500 Iraqi prisoners from Abu Ghraib in time to celebrate Eid al-Fitr, the end of Ramadan. This was part of an earlier release of 1,000 prisoners at the beginning of the month to celebrate the beginning of Ramadan. Didn't we berate the dictator we overthrew for doing the same type of gestures? Didn't we say we would be a benevolent helper while Iraq found it's way to democracy and show the Iraqi people that they had spent 30+ years under the thumb of a cruel, evil man? Why is it that every step of this administration I feel like I'm being told one thing and the diametrically opposed thing is actually happening? I think I hear my kettle whistling...