Monday, November 19, 2007

Off to Stuff a My Face but Not a Turkey!

Tomorrow bright and early I'm off to my "favourite" airport, LaGuardia (you hear the sarcasm in my typing right?) to fly home to Michigan to spend Thanksgiving with my family. I was just home a few weekends ago for my Grandfather's funeral but I really wanted to be home again under much happier circumstances.

This will be the first Thanksgiving in almost seven years I'm not cooking a full Thanksgiving dinner. Thanksgiving was W's favourite holiday and I have to admit that this year I'm glad I'm not going to be cooking and more importantly not alone but surrounded by those that love and care for me. It will keep my mind off the careful plans and huge dinner I used to make.

This year, my family is heading to my step brother and his wife's house. I adore them and they have three of the most wonderful kids. I'm in charge of making the bread and rolls (surprise, surprise) and I am bringing a bit of my sourdough starter to make my sourdough cinnamon rolls. I had to dry it since I don't want the TSA to confiscate the liquid starter because as I've discussed here a few posts ago, bread flour is a national security threat (man, I'm really tempting the airport whammie to cause problems aren't I??!!)

What is all this rambling leading up to you ask? As my folks don't have internet access, well they do but it is 16K dial up and is excruciating to do anything but check in for my return flight, I won't be posting for a few days.

So, I guess I'm telling my readers in the US to have happy and safe Thanksgiving and the readers in the rest of the world to have a great next few days.

Just so you don't think I'm leaving you without a recipe to play with here is something I make for the holiday season entertaining and always keep in the fridge for those spur of the moment dessert and coffee get-togethers! Enjoy but safely and responsibly boys and girls...

Homemade Irish Cream Liqueur
Makes about 5 cups
1 3/4 Cup your favourite "brown" liquor from one of these: whiskey, brandy, rum, bourbon, scotch or rye (I use blended whiskey like Seagram's Seven or Canadian Mist)
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 C whipping or heavy cream (to make it a little more "diet" friendly you can use light cream too!)
4 eggs
2 Tbsp chocolate flavoured syrup
2 tsp instant coffee or espresso
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract

In a blender combine all the ingredients and blend until smoth. Server as you would any cream liqueur (over ice or in coffee or straight up!) Store tightly covered in fridge for up to a month. Stir well before serving.