Friday, March 20, 2009

Blog Party #44: Brunch Again!

I missed last month's Blog Party at my good friend Stephanie's place over at Dispensing Happiness. But when I saw the theme for this month's party there was no way I was going to miss it because the theme is about my all time favorite meal, brunch!

Blog Party brunch again

When it comes to brunch I have three words: Corned Beef Hash. AND, since I have the leftovers of that fabulous corned beef from last night along with a few potatoes I had all the makings for the best damn corned beef hash I've ever had.

brunchblogparty_cornedbeefhash

Using my grandfather's hunting camp hash recipe, I diced some onion and in a hot cast iron skillet I cooked the onion is 3 Tbsp of butter until they were just turning brown. Then I added the corned beef and potatoes, turned down the heat and let a nice crust form on the bottom. Turn the hash over, break up, and form pockets down to the pan, put a small dot of butter and when the butter has melted, crack open an egg into the hash clear space. Allow the egg to cook to just sunny side up, gently flip the egg over, count to 10 and remove the pan from heat.

Gently remove egg, place hash on plate around egg, sprinkle some fresh cracked pepper on top and serve with a hearty bread, like Anadama bread.

While we're talking Irish and hunting camp food, why not make some good Irish coffee to go with that hash.

blogparty irishcoffee

So, to the blog party I bring a platter of my grandfather's corned beef hash and thermos full of strong Irish coffee.

Hunting Camp Hash

Serves 8

2 lbs cooked corned beef, minced
8 medium just cooked potatoes, minced
2 large onions, diced
1 stick of butter
8 eggs
salt and pepper to taste

In 12" skillet, over medium high heat melt 3/4 stick of butter and add onions. Cook until just browning. Add corned beef and potatoes, stir to combine with onions. Turn down heat and allow bottom of hash to brown.

Using a wooden spoon, make 8 little "pits" down to the pan, melt 1/2 tsp of butter in each area and crack an egg into each "pit". Allow egg to cook to Sunny Side Up and then gently turn it over. Remove pan from heat, gently plate egg, surround with some corned beef hash, season to taste with salt and pepper and serve to toast.